I have been receiving many queries on custom weighted foam darts from modders. This guide will answer 2 of the popular questions:
How to ensure dart tips never split or detach during firing or impact?
How to make consistent flat tips for attaching the soft padding?
Here is one of the methods i use...
From left to right (top row):
- Remove the original tip from the foam dart.
- Insert the tip weight.
- Use a short section of 17/32" brass tube as a mold and sleeve it over the foam dart tip, allow 1-2mm of clearance from the brass tube edge.
- Apply hot glue into the brass tube mold, this will seal the tip weight and the foam dart together.
From left to right (bottom row):
- Put the mold tip first on a cool surface and press down on the foam dart to compress the hot glue and get rid of any bubbles. This will create a molded flat tip. Wait around 20-30 seconds for the hot glue to cool down and solidify.
- Remove the foam dart from the brass tube mold, trim the sides of the flat hot glue tip so that it is aligned with the foam dart outer diameter.
- For safety, attach a piece of soft padding to the flat hot glue tip. This helps to absorb the foam dart impact.
- Close-up of the completed custom weighted foam dart.
Hope that helps! :)